- Los Angeles Unified School District
- $21.78 -28.70/hour
Education - Excluding Post Secondary
333 S. Beaudry Ave
A Light Bus Driver operates a “conventional” school bus of up to 28,000 pounds gross vehicle weight that transports less than 78 passenger capacity with the engine typically in front of the driver seat.
The duties consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates a school bus in transporting students to and from school and
other locations as scheduled
- Maintains proper student behavior and safe riding practices on a bus
- Inspects assigned bus prior to and at the end of each run for
mechanical condition affecting safety of operation, physical
condition, and to ensure that no students remain on the bus
- Renders first-aid and operated fire extinguishers when necessary
Performs related duties as assigned
- California Vehicle Code, District School Bus Driver’s Manual, and
traffic ordinances of local governmental agencies within the District
- Minor bus repairs and adjustments
- State Department of Education, Department of Vehicles, and California
Highway Patrol regulations pertaining to student transportation and
- Dive a bus safely in heavy metropolitan traffic in accordance with
the requirements of transportation schedules and traffic laws
- Promote and maintain student safety and proper behavior on a school
- Act quickly and appropriately in emergencies
- Relate effectively with students on the bus and with their parents
- Work effectively with District personnel
- Operate two-way radio equipment in accordance with applicable
- Operate mobile data terminal
- Operate a computer workstation to access transportation software
Graduation from a high school or evidence of equivalent educational proficiency.
Six (6) months of experience in driving a bus or truck
Successful completion of a course in school bus driver training given by the LAUSD Transportation Services Division
Special Physical Requirements:
- Ability to reach overhead and safely lift, carry, push, or pull
objects weighing up to 50 pounds; and to assist students with
disabilities on and off the bus
- Good physical condition as required in order to obtain a California
School Bus Driver Certificate
A valid California Driver License, Class A or B, with Passenger, Air Break, and School Bus endorsements.
A California School Bus Driver Certificate with no restrictions except:
- A First-Aid Test Waived restriction if in possession of valid
- A Conventional or Type 2 Bus Only restriction (41 passenger or more)
- An Automatic Transmission Only restriction
- Effective January 1, 1995, all employees in these classifications are
subject to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) regulations for
drug and alcohol testing as required by the Omnibus Transportation
Employee Testing Act of 1991
In order to be considered for employment, it is the responsibility of ALL candidates who pass the exam to maintain a valid CA Driver License and California School Bus Driver Certificate at all times.
Paid premiums for your choice of several medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
Membership in the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS)
Two Weeks of Paid vacation to start; three weeks after five years of year-round paid service
Paid Holidays: 12 days
Interested candidates should visit LAUSD’s Talent Acquisition & Selection Branch site to apply
NOTE: Positions in this job classification my be offered on a 9, 10, 11 month basis per year- salary and paid time off will be adjusted accordingly. Positions in this job classification may be subject to additional furlough days.
HOW TO APPLYIn order to be considered for this position, qualified candidates must visit http://www.lausdjobs.org to apply.
Click on the link “Jobs Open to the Public” to find job opportunity. The Los Angeles Unified School District intends that all qualified persons shall have equal opportunities for employment and promotion, Reasonable accommodations in completing an application and testing are available to individuals with disabilities. Please call (213) 241-3455 for more information* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.